Thursday, April 19, 2012

twice.

Head against the glass
intent on the yellow light out in the field
that is visible for the mile or so
until that left turn

and it may take us home
but, the furniture has been rearranged
by persons
not us
or are they us, now?

Did I do this?

-

Eight months of four hundred miles
up in the green and ice
water and oil spilling over if you can't move
fast enough

and you never have - not ever

     you are the first born and you will always be second

(You're my first,
but that doesn't mean the same
as the tracks your car left
in the new snow
when you told me we were near her house and that was funny.

No.
It wasn't.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this. The thoughtful, inner dialogue. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intense, like a punch in the stomach without sound. My favorite line: 'you are the first born and you will always be second" It's almost as if you are trying to clear up the past by expressing how you really felt about things. Very...intense.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think about this piece. Be honest.